The Department of Fisheries is one of the two Departments under the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying. It came into existence with effect from 05.02.2019 through carving out Fishery Division from the erstwhile Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries vide Cabinet Secretariat’s Notification F.No.1/21/21/2018-Cab dated 05.02.2019.
The Department is under the overall charge of Shri Giriraj Singh, Hon’ble Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying assisted by two Ministers of State for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying namely Dr. Sanjiv Kumar Balyan and Sh. Pratap Chandra Sarangi. The administrative Head of the Department is Secretary Fisheries. Secretary Fisheries is assisted by two Joint Secretaries.
The Department is responsible for matters relating to formulation of policy and schemes relating to Development of Inland , Marine and Coastal Fisheries and Fishery Institutes namely Fishery Survey of India Mumbai, Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training (CIFNET), Kerala, Central Institute of Coastal Engineering For Fishery (CICEF), Bangalore, National Institute of Fisheries Post Harvest Technology and Training,(NIFPHATT), Kochi, National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB), Hyderabad, Coastal Aquaculture Authority, Chennai.
The list of subjects allocated to Department of Fisheries is as under:
1. Development of fish feed and fish products industry with regard to the formulation of the demand and fixation of targets.
2. Promotion and development of Fishing and Fisheries (inland, marine and beyond territorial waters) and its associated activities, including infrastructure development, Marketing, Exports, and institutional arrangements, etc.
3. Welfare of Fishermen and other Fisher-folk and strengthening of their livelihoods.
4. Liaison and cooperation with international organizations in matters relating to fisheries development.
5. Fisheries Statistics.
6. Matters relating to loss of fish stock due to natural calamities.
7. Regulation of fish stock importation, Quarantine and Certification.
8. Fishery Survey of India, Mumbai.